Friday, December 17, 2010

I Miss Your Ginger Hair and The Way You Like to Dress

There has been a lot of talk about youth culture- and while some pseudo-adults(you know the type...the 16 year olds who think they've got all the wisdom of a 43-year-old, that they are past their prime, and much too mature to participate in such foolish activities as going to parties where "Animal" is playing over the speakers and black light parties) would be up in arms about me calling their age group "youth", that's just what it is. Yes, I'm an adult, and I make very real, adult decisions on a day-to-day basis. But I'm young. I have no misconceptions of how I act- I know I am not ready to have children, be married, and the mere thought of having a fiancee terrifies me. But I don't care, because I'm having the time of my life right now. And yes I make mistakes, and yes, I'm grateful for every single one. Yes, I party. I doll myself and the girls up in glitter and eyeliner, we mess our hair up, we dance around like crazy people. We are living our lives to the very fullest, not wasting our precious moments of life on people who don't matter and things that can wait. We live for the moment. To those people who think our lifestyle is irresponsible or "immature", I don't have much to say to you. I work hard at school and work during the week. I take care of myself financially. I make live-changing choices all the time. I don't rely on too many people. I'm self-suffecient, passionate, and hard working. And on the weekends, I party hard.
I think being away at college has just been so liberating for me. I do what I want to do, what I need to do, and I am having a blast. It's not all fun, as someone who has lived away from home can tell you, but it's amazing what the experience does for an individual. I'm no longer self-conscious at all. I'm confident in a way that doesn't come across as arrogance, but assured. I'm just myself, wholly and completely. I'm not so contrived and insecure that I feel the need to publicly announce my accomplishments, GPA, or public records.  It would be childish and petty to mock other's lifestyles that may differ from my own, so I don't. Let people be people, be who they want to be. I don't need the reassurance of a boyfriend, but when I did have a boyfriend, I treated him like gold, and when I dp again, it'll be the same. But I don't need that. The mad to live people, the crazy, the wild, the party people- these are the people who get stereotyped. Being a girl who is excited to be alive, whose victories come on a daily basis (successfully making microwave popcorn, painting my nails with only a couple smudges and re-do's, saving a couple dollars at the grocery store), who goes out on the weekend, who wears glitter and probably too much eyeliner, who stomps shamelessly around in boots and never desires to look like everybody else, who lives life with delightful irrevrence, maybe I get lumped into this stereotype. But you know what? I don't care. People who are free, people who are wildly joyful at the prospect of a good time with their best friends, people who are not afraid to get a little dirty, to break the mold....come join me. People will look down on us, people will invariably judge us, people will mock us. But what will we Weekend Warriors do? We'll turn the music up louder, kiss someone new, scream shout and holler, and dump on more glitter.
But I should go. See, it's Friday night, and I have some fantastic plans involving some fantastic people. If you're a free spirit, a person who is desirous of everything...well...I'll save some glitter for you.









1 comment:

Carmen said...

Lovely text and funny pictures (they remember me of a lot of nights...) Kisses!